Muriel, daughter of the Thane of Cawdor, and heiress to his estates, was, after her father's death, carried off to Argyll in 1499. In 1510 she married Sir John Campbell, 3rd son of the 2nd Earl of Argyll, who thus became the founder of the Campbells of Cawdor. Lady Muriel died in 1573 and was succeeded by her grandson, John. Cawdor Castle, the residence of the chief, was built in 1454 and is a fine specimen of feudal architecture. A traditional story states that the Thane of Cawdor dreamt he should place a coffer of gold on an ass and build a castle where the animal stopped. The ass stopped beside a hawthorn tree and the castle was built around it. The tree can still be seen in a vault of the castle. John Campbell, who was created Lord Cawdor in 1796, captured the French soldiers who landed at Fishguard in 1797 on the last foreign invasion of Great Britain.